Roles and Responsibilities
ICRISAT seeks application for the post of Consultant – Soil-Carbon Sequestration and GHGs Emissions with Knowledge and Capacity Development in the Global Research Program –Enabling Systems Transformation at ICRISAT. The position is based at ICRISAT, Patancheru, Hyderabad. The candidate will report to the Senior Scientist – Natural Resource Management.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Soil organic carbon (Soil org C) sequestration is an opportunity for improving soil properties, associated productivity and ecosystem services. The MASCS (Managing Agricultural Soils as Carbon Sinks through adoption of negative emission strategies) project is aimed at developing and testing methodologies for quantifying SOC sequestration potential. This work is funded by Deutsche Gesellschaft fr Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. We are working on APSIM biochar model to simulate the additions of soil C to cropping systems in Maharashtra and Odisha.
The overall objective of the proposed work is to conduct a detailed and rigorous assessment of agricultural management practices, with focus on biochar, other materials and management practices for their potential to sequester C.
- Collect detailed information on GHGs emissions in Odisha and Maharashtra target districts
- Recommendations to reduce GHGs emissions in agriculture considering the local conditions of Odisha and Maharashtra
- Find out correlations of soil C and management practices with GHGs
- Work closely and support MASCS team in estimating the potential and developing projections of C sequestration and implication on GHGs under different soil, crop and water management of agricultural systems
- Economic analysis of practices to reduce GHGs emissions
- Liaise with different stakeholders and undertake other project related tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Document all compiled data/information and share regular updates/reports (monthly basis)
Focus regions for specific information:
- Angul, Balangir, Dhenkanal, Deogarh, Kalahandi, Keonjhar, Nuapada and Sundaragarh in Odisha state
- Jalna, Dhule, Ahmednagar, Amravati and Yavatmal in Maharashtra state
- MSc in Agriculture, Agriculture Engineering or related field (Preference will be given to PhD candidates)
- Around 2-3 years research experience in related field of consultancy
- Publications related to carbon-sequestration and greenhouse gases in agriculture systems in high impact journals
This is a Consultant position for One-year renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 15 October 2021, with a response to the selection criteria, their latest resume and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short- listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry:Agriculture / Forestry / Fishing
Employment Type:Part Time, Temporary/Contractual
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) in Agriculture
INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)