ICRISAT is seeking applications for the positions of Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF)-Plant Physiologist/Crop Modeler to work on developing crop modelling frameworks for groundnut, pearl millet and sorghum to systematically characterize target production environments for abiotic stress factors which influence crop productivity. The positions will be based at ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali.
- Develop crop modelling frameworks (i.e. APSIM, DSSAT, SSM) to systematically characterize target production environments for abiotic stress factors which influence crop productivity.
- Integrate an understanding of crop adaptations (and their genetics) and agronomy to predict their value in the target cropping systems.
- Design and conduct experiments to support data collection for model development and parameterization of genotypic coefficients for focus plant traits.
- Cross-disciplinary communication and collaboration
- Training of students (national and international) and technical staff
- Designing, data analysis and interpretation of field and platform experiments
- Preparation of reports and scientific journal article
- PhD degree in quantitative Plant Physiology, Plant Biology, Statistics, Crop Agronomy, Big data, with good understanding of genetics or related disciplines
- Experience in use of crop simulation modelling tools to understand abiotic limitations to plant physiology
- Programming skills (R, C++) and management of large and complex datasets, high-performance computing
- Creativity and ability to work independently and in a team-based environment
- Ability to draft high-quality research articles
- Background in quantitative genetics (e.g. QTL, GWAS mapping), crops stress physiology, mathematics or molecular biology is an advantage
- Experience with the analysis of agricultural production systems
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; understanding of French is desirable
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments
- Willingness to travel in the region and globally.
This is a Post-Doctoral Fellowship [PDF] position for a period of two years depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 29 October 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Desired Candidate Profile
INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)