ICRISAT is seeking applications for the positions of Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF) - Plant Pathology to work on important groundnut, pearl millet and sorghum diseases to address the knowledge gaps in epidemiology, pathogenic variability, host plant resistance and alternative disease management strategies. The positions will be based at ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali.
- Plan and execute research on regionally important diseases of cereals (sorghum and pearl millet) and legumes (groundnut) to address the knowledge gaps in epidemiology, pathogenic variability, host plant resistance and alternate disease management strategies.
- Work with crop improvement scientists to develop improved cultivars with resistance to major disease in the region
- Organize and conduct multi-location disease nurseries and trials on integrated disease management
- Provide training and technical backstopping for public and private sector partners on integrated disease management
- Facilitate establishment & strengthening of collaborative research with key stakeholders
- Develop work schedules for the implementation of R & D activities in plant pathology
- Introduce quality management system that promotes the development of protocols and quality checks thereby delivering high quality data
- Analyze, summarize and interpret the data of the experiments conducted in laboratory, greenhouse and on station and on-farm trials
- Produce quality publications including peer reviewed papers, research reports, communication articles, posters to be used in local and international conferences, workshops, trainings etc.,
- Develop project proposal for donor funding
- A PhD in agricultural sciences with specialization in plant pathology
- Knowledge of epidemiology, pathogenic variation and host plant resistance, and their application in crop improvement is essential
- A proven record of conventional plant pathology, with knowledge and application of molecular techniques as evidenced by scientific publications in refereed journals
- Knowledge in diseases modelling
- Theoretical knowledge of genetics and plant breeding is desirable
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; understanding of French is desirable
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments
- Willingness to travel in the region and globally.
This is a Post-Doctoral Fellowship [PDF] position for a period of two years depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability.
How to Apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 29 October 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
PleaseCLICK HEREto submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Desired Candidate Profile
INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org.
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)