An Academic Librarian manages, organizes, evaluates and disseminates information, providing support to members of an academic community including students, researchers and lecturing staff.
The Academic Librarian will also carry out:
- Resource ordering
- Specialist collections
- IT systems
- Library projects
The successful candidate will spend considerable time working with electronic resources, involving database and web content management. The role requires strong customer focus. The Academic Librarian will support ICRISAT and ICARDA Scientists to ensure that all products delivered are uploaded on the Centers€™ Institutional Repositories.
- Develop and manage collections of books and journals (both paper and electronic), as well as websites;
- Select, acquire and catalogue information using library and information software (ICRISAT/ICARDA publications, following up with scientists on their publications and cataloguing into ICRISAT€™s Open Access Repository (OAR) at http://oar.icrisat.org and ICRARDA MEL at https://repo.mel.cgiar.org);
- Create, update and manage electronic and printed information resources (Manage and upload Information in OAR and contribute to development of new features. Manage other library digital platforms such as €InfoSAT and KOHA€);
- Assist researchers with literature searches using databases, printed resources and the internet-based tools;
- Provide information to all indexing agencies for both ICRISAT and ICARDA;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with academic staff and students, as well as external bodies such as suppliers;
- Take on responsibility, in some cases, for archives and update other special collections;
- Deal with user enquiries, which may involve one-on-one advice sessions;
- Keep up to date with developments in the library sector and participate in professional groups or networks;
- Perform other related technical and administrative duties as assigned by the supervisor/s.
Qualifications and competencies
- Masters in Library and Information sciences or related experience
- At least 5 years of work experience especially in a research institute
- Strong customer €“ centered approach towards work
- Experience in any Database Management system
- Knowledge of and experience curating knowledge products
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office suites
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Result-oriented mindset, proactive responsiveness, ability to work under pressure and remotely
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Affiliations with relevant professional organizations in librarianship
The selected candidate will be placed in the Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) cadre as Academic Librarian or in the Scientific and Managerial Group (SMG) cadre as Senior Academic Librarian. The position is initially for a period of three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute€™s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 8 December2020, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
"ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer"
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Desired Candidate Profile
INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEM I ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)