The successful candidate will lead the Commodity Technology Delivery Compact (CTDC) of Sorghum and Millet Value Chain and the development of all necessary submissions for approval by the Clearinghouse. This is an AfDB- funded program- Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT), for large-scale diffusion of sorghum and millet technologies in target countries in the Sahel (Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Sudan). TAAT aims to enhance diffusion of technologies of proven efficacy for improving sorghum and pearl millet production systems under the realities of target countries conditions (environmental, economic and social). This component of TAAT is expected to complement activities and create synergies through linkages with other projects/partners/stakeholders that focus on sorghum and millet value chain.
- Oversee day-to-day management and implementation of value chain compact activities in close collaboration with country value chain implementation teams.
- Guide the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to prepare food technology outreach campaigns for the CTDC for submission to the Clearinghouse of the Reginal Technology Delivery Infrastructure (RTDI)
- Prepare and submit from the CTDC a list of technologies to be deployed and the resources required, to the RTDI, specifically the Project Steering Committee (PSC) through the Clearinghouse who will review and approve the appropriate technologies.
- Lead in undertaking the activities of the CTDC which include: agreeing with RMCs on approaches to deploy technologies, defining target areas, mobilizing all actors across the value chain and designing and implementing wide-scale farmer extension models
- Facilitate the implementation of these value chain activities in all target countries and participate in the monitoring of progress made towards achieving value chain and TAAT set goals.
- Provide support to all value chain public and private sector partners in each participating country and ensure that they are fully and actively engaged.
- Establish good linkages with lead compact institution to ensure that administrative support is provided for fiduciary services such as procurement and financial management.
- In close consultation and collaboration with the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) ensure that capacity is built in all needed areas for various stakeholders within the value chain.
- In close consultation and collaboration with the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), ensure that all policy related issues that can affect value chain transformation within target countries are effectively addressed.
- Support the development of young Agripreneurs through demonstration and training in close collaboration with the ENABLE-TAAT Compact.
- Ensure that quarterly and annual consolidated technical and financial reports for the compact are prepared and submitted to the program management office on schedule.
- Present the activities, results, impacts and outcomes of the value chain at professional, donor and other stakeholders meetings
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Management and/or Institutional management office to meet the objectives of the value chain.
- The candidate should have a PhD or a Post graduate degree in agronomy, agricultural extension, agricultural sciences or a closely related field to the value chain.
- Should have at least 10 years of professional work experience in agricultural extension or a closely related field, at least 5 of which should be in Africa
- Experience in project management especially with African Development Bank projects will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with good working knowledge of French is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to write, publish, and disseminate technical reports, success stories, and promotional materials; and
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position for 3 years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and continuing availability of funding, with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars.
Applicants should apply on or before 22 April 2018, with a letter of motivation, a latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidates professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry:Agriculture / Dairy
Employment Type:Permanent Job, Full Time
Desired Candidate Profile
Doctorate:Ph.D - Agriculture, Other Doctorate
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru, near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. In WCA, ICRISAT has its regional hub in Mali and country programs in Niger and Nigeria. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEMI ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)