The HOPE II and TL III are Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) funded projects implemented in Tanzania, Uganda and Ethiopia (Eastern Africa) and in Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana (Western Africa). The current phases of the two projects build on achievements in the preceding phases, with a strong component on collaboration with National Research Systems for scaling out the successful technologies developed through both projects.
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator in the management of HOPE II and TL III research and scale-out activities.
- Work with the project country partners in Burkina Faso, Mali and Nigeria to establish and vitalize sustainable sorghum and millet seed delivery systems (both formal and informal) that ensure availability of and accessibility to high quality seed to meet the needs of smallholder farmers, especially the underserved women farmers.
- Work with the project country partners in Burkina Faso, Mali and Nigeria to establish and operationalize innovation platforms for enhancing the dissemination of information on seedmarket information.
- Collaborate with project country partners and the broader scale stakeholders in NGOs, Farmer Organizations, Farmer Cooperatives and private sector to support a strong and sustainable decentralized production of foundation and certified seed of farmer and market preferred improved sorghum and millet varieties.
- Work with sorghum and millet seed producers in target countries to respond to the problematic of seed market along the seed systems value chain: production, quality, marketing, accountability and profitability.
- For a good planning of project activities and reporting, work with the project country partners in Burkina Faso, Mali and Nigeria to compile up-to-date data on all seed grades produced and the uptake of improved sorghum, millet, groundnut and cowpea seeds.
- Provide linkage with other initiatives, e.g. AGRA-PASS, to develop sustainable, and adaptable/duplicable seed supply models.
- Assure knowledge brokering, linking scientific knowledge with national strategic policies and development practices.
- experience with building public private sector partnerships;
- Capable of providing comprehensive and timely activity reports to the HOPE II and TL III project leaders as and when required.
- Capable of producing individual and/or co-authored quality publications including articles in peer-reviewed journals, research reports, and other communications outputs for a range of audiences.
Essential criteria :
- PhD or Master degree in a relevant field of crop sciences such as plant breeding, agronomy, seed technology or related social science with an agricultural orientation
- At least five years of experience working in seed sector development, seed business management, or seed deployment/commercialization in developing countries, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ability to design and facilitate multi-stakeholder processes and institutional innovation processes
- Strong negotiation and consensus building skills
- Hands-on problem-solver with strong analytical abilities and end-product focus.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and as a team member
- Affinity with capacity strengthening and facilitation of training
- A strong interest in lining theory with policy and practice
- Capability to manage tasks independently to meet agreed timelines
- Willingness to travel frequently to meet partners and assess progress of project activities
- Fluency in English is essential; competence in French is desirable
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication
This is an internationally recruited staff position with competitive salary and benefits package payable in US Dollars. The position is initially for two years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 28/02/2018, with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry:Agriculture / Dairy
Employment Type:Permanent Job, Full Time
Desired Candidate Profile
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) - Agriculture, Other
Doctorate:Ph.D - Agriculture, Other Science
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEMI ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)