ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian nationals for the post of Project Site Coordinator
for the World Vegetable Center
to lead the vegetable research and extension services for its project in the states of Odisha and Jharkhand, India.
The project is funded by the Collectives for Integrated Livelihood Initiatives (CInI). The candidate selected for this position will work closely with three other WorldVeg projects in these states and the research support team located at WorldVeg regional headquarters in Hyderabad, India.
The World Vegetable Centre
is an international non-profit research and development center committed to alleviating poverty and malnutrition in developing countries through the increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Centers global work covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Central Asia. For more information please visit our website: avrdc.org.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Provide leadership in coordinating on-farm varietal trials, and implementing integrated pest management technologies and improved soil management trials and demonstrations in close coordination with the CInI team
- Supervise a team of four Project Technical Officers in Odisha and Jharkhand to implement on-farm trials, training programs, and other field activities
- Establish and maintain good communication links between the CInI project manager, project partners, team members and farmers to ensure effective field implementation of improved vegetable cultivation practices
- Develop and promote vegetable cropping calendars for key locations in the two states that can lead to farmer incomes of at least Rs60,000/annum
- Organize and coordinate training to strengthen the capacity of local partners in carrying out research and extension activities for vegetable growers
- Provide technical support to entrepreneurial farmers involved in high-end nursery enterprises
- Develop extension training materials, regular seasonal progress reports and annual work plans, financial reports, and presentations as needed by project stakeholders
- Extensive experience in commercial vegetable research and extension work
- Proven experience in effectively managing teams, and working closely with public and private sector partners to implement vegetable research and development projects
- Keen analytical skills and ability to conduct, monitor and evaluate experimental trials
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and an excellent team player
- Proficiency in the use of various software applications (MS Word, MS Excel) and adequate knowledge and practical experience in handling variety evaluation trials
- Energetic, entrepreneurial and enthusiastic personality with an urge to improve agricultural systems
- PhD in agriculture/horticulture with at least five years experience working in vegetable crops. However, a Masters degree in horticulture and extensive practical experience in vegetable would also be very favorably considered
This is a consolidated position for one year, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institutes continuing the need for the position. An attractive compensation is offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 24-September-2017, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry: Agriculture / Dairy
Employment Type: Permanent Job, Full Time