- Lead the development of ICRISAT breeding program strategy to enhance genetic gains for dryland cereals and legumes
- Oversee breeding program operations across all breeding zones and lead implementation of systems, procedures and guidelines for effective product development
- Provide guidance to modernize breeding programs in areas such as breeding methodology, phenotyping, application of molecular tools, mechanization, and automation of operations, testing strategy and data analysis and interpretation
- Lead ICRISAT breeding program integration effort across all support functions
- Ensure breeding pipelines are properly aligned with product concepts and the target population of the environment (TPE)
- Develop and utilize methods to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of breeding programs the Institute supports
- Support development of training programs to upgrade skills of scientists and support personnel.
- Develop proposals to fund operations and breeding program modernization at ICRISAT and at national programs level
- Coordinate closely with CGIAR initiatives, CRPs and platforms, such as the Excellence in Breeding Platform
- PhD in plant breeding or related fields with a minimum of 10 years of post-doctoral experience
- In-depth understanding of practical breeding applications and logistical constraints relevant to breeding programs targeting the developing world including those from the CGIAR, national systems and the private sector
- Excellent understanding of new and established tools that pragmatically support modern breeding application and capacity development approaches that will accelerate their use in breeding programs targeting the developing world
- Experience in:
- Leading multi-institutional programs or projects.
- Developing strategies and results-based management frameworks (workplans, budgets, monitoring plans, reports).
- Building consensus among diverse needs of clients.
- Service provision and capacity development in areas relevant to ICRISAT Programs.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated ability to work and lead teams and support collaboration
- Excellent oral, written, and communication skills in English. French will be an advantage
- Experience in the private sector within Africa would be an advantage
- Demonstrated championing the critical areas of gender, youth, nutrition, knowledge sharing and innovation
- Demonstration of an entrepreneurial spirit with aptitude for innovation
This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position with an attractive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The position is initially for three years and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent, funding availability and the Institute's continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 27th December 2017, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry:Agriculture / Dairy
Employment Type:Permanent Job, Full Time
Desired Candidate Profile
UG:B.Sc - Any Specialization
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) - Any Specialization
Doctorate:Ph.D - Other
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEMI ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)