WorldVeg is the worlds largest international non-profit research and development center focused on alleviating poverty and malnutrition in developing countries through the increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Centers global work covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central Asia. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org.
- Provide leadership in coordinating on-farm demonstrations of improved varieties and seedling production systems, good agricultural practices, integrated pest management and post harvest management in close coordination with state institutions
- Lead a team of eight people including a senior scientist, two Scientific officers, a finance officer and four field officers serving districts across Jharkhand to implement on-farm trials, run training programs and to scale up innovations across the state
- Organize and coordinate training programs to strengthen the capacity of local partners in carrying out research and extension activities for vegetable growers
- Establish and maintain good communication links between the JOHAR project management team, WorldVeg regional headquarters and other project partners to ensure effective field implementation of improved vegetable cultivation practices
- Develop extension training materials, regular seasonal progress reports, annual work plans, financial reports and presentations as needed by project stakeholders
- Proven experience in effectively leading teams, and working closely with public and private sector partners to implement vegetable research and development projects
- Extensive experience in running training and extension programs for farmers
- Extensive experience in commercial vegetable research and extension work
- Keen analytical skills and the ability to conduct, monitor and evaluate experimental trials.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi (knowledge of regional languages would be an advantage) and an excellent team player
- Proficiency in the use of various software applications (MS Word, MS Excel) and good knowledge and practical experience in managing on-farm and on-station trials
- Energetic, entrepreneurial and enthusiastic personality with an urge to improve agricultural systems for the benefit of smallholder farmers
- PhD degree in agriculture/horticulture with at least five years experience working in vegetable crops. However, a Masters degree in horticulture and extensive practical experience in vegetable would also be very favorably considered
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Industry:Agriculture / Dairy
Employment Type:Permanent Job, Full Time
Desired Candidate Profile
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) - Agriculture, Other
Doctorate:Ph.D - Agriculture, Other
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Contact Company:INTERNATIONAL CROPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR THE SEMI ARID TROPICS (ICRISAT)